The Evil Twins

Destiny

For games that don't have their own dedicated forum.
Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Destiny

Postby Capt Birdshit » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:33 pm

I know this game isn't coming out for PC but how amazing does this game look? So gutted we aren't getting it but it reminds me a little bit of planetside 2 and Battlefield and WOW/Guild Wars.

Looks beautiful as well

SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

Re: Destiny

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Capt Birdshit wrote:I know this game isn't coming out for PC

You are assuming this isnt coming out on PC im guessing :D

They havent denied or confirmed this rumor but they have dropped hints it might.

Extreme_One
God-like
God-like

Postby Extreme_One » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Yeah, everything I've read, including this today, has implied we'll get it eventually.

"It is [a good fit], and it's something we're talking about and looking at very carefully, and obviously it makes a lot of sense with the genre and the type of game it is," Erik Hirshberg, the CEO of Activision Publishing, told Polygon during E3.

"You know, developing on PC is a different animal than developing for consoles and so we just want to make sure that we're putting one foot in front of the other and getting it right, and that it's of the highest possible quality. But obviously I see the same things about the natural fit," he continued.

"We haven't said yes, and we haven't said no," Bungie senior writer Eric Osborne said. "The more platforms we take on, the more work it ultimately becomes, and what we don't want is to compromise the core experience on any platforms. We have a lot of people who play on PCs. We have a lot of appetite to build that experience. We haven't announced it yet, but we're looking forward to talking more about that kind of stuff in the future."

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Yeah i read a bit more into it yesterday and the developed had explained that although it was built using PC hardware, it wasn't exactly a simple case of making it available for PC (logic please?) but that it wasn't ruled out.

Thanks Monkey for filling in the gaps and inserting some videos & images; Didn't get much time to actually insert some material.

I like the look of it though..will be interesting the reviews.

SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:54 pm

and its by a developer that created one of my favorite games of all time....

Myth : The Fallen Lords !!

Not Halo, although it was good too

Extreme_One
God-like
God-like

Postby Extreme_One » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:31 am

Ouch, Destiny's being given a bit of a kicking by some reviewers.

Destiny's combat most resembles the MMO genre with its bosses, who are, if you'll pardon the cliche, bullet sponges that take entirely too long to kill. If you were wondering, I set this "too long" threshold at 15 minutes — and Destiny routinely demands 15 to 25 minutes of constant shooting at a boss to kill them.

The punitive respawn system means it's a comparatively simple thing for your entire fireteam to get eradicated, often after shooting at a boss for upwards of 10 minutes. This forces you to start the whole thing over again.

These fights are not fun. They are not rewarding. They do not make any sense, and if there's a trick to beating them more expediently, Destiny is criminally uninterested in communicating that information. Beating these bosses rarely felt like the fist-pumping triumph I imagine someone thought they might be. Instead, my teammates and I were relieved that it was over.

The awful, jargon-heavy dialogue doesn't provide enough context to flesh out these been-there, done-that video game locales. In full, there's probably around eight to 10 hours of story content in Destiny, but enough factions, nonsense sci-fi terminology and universe-spanning, epic quests to fill out 40 hours. The result is a plot that feels rushed even though it never seems to go anywhere.

Given, games of Destiny's type — whether you view it as a full-fledged MMO or just an online-centric shooter — rarely feature great narrative. It's usually a depth and breadth of content that keeps players engaged and coming back for months and years.

Destiny doesn't have that either.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/12/613849 ... ew-no-fate

It's frightening to think that a developer can spend $500 million building what can, at best, be described as a mediocre game but, because a huge amount of that cash went on marketing and hype, they've already made their money back.

This is meant to be the beginning of a new franchise, how on earth will they keep it alive if it's already in need of life support?

Can they even patch in some fun before the game comes to PC?

After reading that Polygon review I'd feel extremely wary of any review that came out all positive and full of praise!

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Re: Destiny (now destiny 2)

Postby Capt Birdshit » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Capt Birdshit wrote:I know this game isn't coming out for PC but how amazing does this game look? So gutted we aren't getting it but it reminds me a little bit of planetside 2 and Battlefield and WOW/Guild Wars.

Looks beautiful as well

Weird looking back at my initial thoughts on destiny 1. Exactly describes your descripion on the game Ex!

Extreme_One
God-like
God-like

Postby Extreme_One » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Hah yeah! :D

Return to “Other games”