The Evil Twins

New Keyboard

Talk about technical stuff; hardware, software etc. etc.
SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

New Keyboard

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:51 pm

I'm looking to replace my old Logitech G15 (10 years old now) with a mechanical and I cant make up my mind, there is such a huge variaty out there now. I will link some of the ones that are either recommended or I like the look of.

Corsair Strafe (releases August 28th) (Cherry MX Red or Brown Switches)
Razor Blackwidow Ultimate (Custom Razor Switches)
Logitech G910 Orion Spark (Custom Romer-G Switches)
CM Storm Trigger Z (Cherry MX Blue, Red or Brown Switches)
Roccat Ryos MK Pro (Cherry MX Black, Blue, Red or Brown Switches)
SteelSeries Apex M800 (Custom QS1 Switches)
Turtle Beach Impact 700 (Cherry MX Brown Switches)
Ducky Shine 4 (Cherry MX Switches (not specified colour))
Ducky Shine 5 (releases beginning of August) (Cherry MX Red, Blue, Black or Brown Switches)
G.Skill KM780 (releases Q3 2015) (Cherry MX Brown or Red Switches)

An introduction to Cherry MX mechanical switches

Extreme_One
God-like
God-like

Re: New Keyboard

Postby Extreme_One » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Easy answer: the most expensive that you can justify buying.

Anything cheaper will be poor quality and anything more expensive you're just paying for fancy branding.

I should be a personal shopper tbqfh.

SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:27 pm

I am slowly working my way through the list.
The Roccat Ryos MK Pro seems to have issues with the LEDs dying after a few months.
Ducky do have very good build quality but not sure if its for me.

I've basically got it down to 4 that I can justify buying.
Corsair Strafe
Razor Blackwidow Ultimate
Logitech G910 Orion Spark
SteelSeries Apex M800

Narcosis
Well Known
Well Known

Postby Narcosis » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:22 am

The Logitech Orion spark or the Razor ultimate stealth would be my 2 choices, or for something completely mad without mech switches :

MAD CATZ S.T.R.I.K.E. 7
http://www.madcatz.com/strike7/

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:27 am

Here are my opinions:

Corsair Strafe - Looks a bit bland to me - something you would find plugged into a lenovo PC - although i do tend to love Corsair products usually
Razor Blackwidow Ultimate - Nice keyboard but look at that Chroma version....shame about the extra cost though
Logitech G910 Orion Spark - £150...!??! Lovely keyboard though
SteelSeries Apex M800 - Not a fan. Sorry

My opinion - is i have no idea - quite a few nice keyboards but i would need hours to physically choose one. if money was no object i would get the Logitech G910 hands down

SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:14 pm

I would have brought the Razor Blackwidow Chroma Stealth but only available at the moment in US Keyboard layout.

I did look at the MAD CATZ S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 but tbo the Logitech Orion Spark has just the same thing but uses your own mobile, has mech switches and is cheaper.

SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:38 am

Ok, finally found a keyboard for me! Corsair Strafe RGB Silent!

Will be ordering it this come Monday, no idea why Razor never did the UK layout but cause of that they lost out. I'm glad I waited. :twisted:

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Going to hijack your thread Monkey as i want to know what you are thinking of your keyboard so far since you've got it?

Looking to get a new keyboard before/after Christmas to finally replace my Logitech G15 (not broke but think its time for something new). I went out and bought myself a Corsair M65 mouse yesterday Image so i want a Corsair keyboard to match it. Now I do like the sound of the Strafe RGB Image, same as yours (even though my original opinion was a complete contrast) but there are one or two things that put me off design wise. Personal choice really but i don't like the font used for the letters, look a bit too much like a RAT or Razer keyboard, i prefer the style and font of the second choice i'm looking at the k70 Image.

Also did you get your keyboard in the MX Brown, Red or Blue? From what i've read Brown appears to be best mix between the Blue and Red?

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Think this sums my choice up quite well actually:

It depends what you're looking for in an RGB keyboard. If having bright vivid lights and a true 16.8M color spectrum are more important for you, get the Strafe. Strafe also includes a USB port that the K70 doesn't have. The Strafe also uses a much more "gamer" style font like the one found on the Razer Blackwidow, some people like it, other's don't.

If you want the aluminum build, thick braided cable and the volume knob with media keys, get the K70 but you'll have to settle for the 512 color mode or a 16.8M color mode with flickering. It's a shame Corsair never bothered to update their LED controller in the K70 to something found in Razer's Blackwidow or the new Strafe RGB line. I personally love clicky mechanical keyboards like MX Blues or even Razer's Green switch, but if you absolutely want the quietest mechanical keyboard then definitely go with the Strafe.

Not having a USB port on my keyboard (as handy as it is) isn't a major worry as i have had to plug my G65 into a port on the back of the PC as the port of my Logitech G15 wasn't powerful enough. Shame it doesn't have the 16.8M colours but seriously is it really needed?!?!

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:28 pm

PS: Does anyone like the logo that is on the Corsair Gaming mouse i bought; I didn't realise (probably why it had £5 off) that it had the old logo before Corsair changed back to their original (slightly altered) logo in the following picture Image

I don't know whether i like the tribal logo or not...?!
Also the K70 keyboard is on offer at PC World at £130 for the tribal logo version (basically v2) but to get it online for the new logo version is at the cheapest £155 roughly...surely i can't justify the difference for just a cooler logo???

v2 (Tribal Logo) Image

v3 (New Logo) Image

Return to “Tech Talk”