The Evil Twins

Hard Drive Setups

Talk about technical stuff; hardware, software etc. etc.
Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Hard Drive Setups

Postby Capt Birdshit » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:01 pm

Again, in anticipation of upgrading next month, i'm thinking of purchasing another SSD just to use for my OS. At £35 for a 120gb it seems to be a good idea IMO. This would mean i'd have the following setup:

120GB SSD - Operating System installation
256GB SSD - Games installed that i regularly play (for speedy loading times)
1TB HD - Files and games that 'occasionally' get played

I may decide to get another regular HD to use for mirroring, not sure yet as i already have a backup going onto my server.

Extreme_One
God-like
God-like

Re: Hard Drive Setups

Postby Extreme_One » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Which SSD are you looking at for £35? £3.43 per GB is good value!

With 120GB I could probably have my OS and maybe one or two current most-played games installed too.

SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Why dont you buy another 256 and raid them together? you'll then have 500gb and round double the access speed?

:D Its what im thinking of doing.

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:25 pm

Problem is if you RAID though, if one hard drive crashes don't you lose everything on both hard drives?
Obviously then your backup would come into play.

Yeah true i could go lower but you never know when you may need it. One i was looking at was: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-PLUS-Sa ... isk+120ssd

May look into the RAID though but then it is again more money (not much more mind!).

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Quote from TomsHardware: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-raid- ... 89-13.html
They're a funny thing, SSD benchmarks. You can run synthetics all day long and create these unrealistically demanding workloads that make solid-state storage look one way. Then, you can tinker around with real-world metrics that paint another picture entirely.

For enthusiasts, the truth often lies somewhere in between. A majority of the tasks we perform do tend to involve basic operations like opening Web browsers, editing images, composing email, and watching video. But sometimes we do need big performance from our systems: compiling a big project, moving tens of gigabytes of media files, or capturing uncompressed AVIs for FCAT analysis. In those instances, you want responsiveness on demand.

If you're planning an upgrade and want to know whether to buy a couple of 128 GB drives and put them in RAID 0 or just grab a single 256 GB SSD, for example, the answer still seems clear enough to us: just grab the large drive and use one. Using Samsung's 840 Pros as an example, a pair of 128 GB drives will run you £220 on Expansys right now. The 256 GB model sells for £180. There's also the issue of reliability. If one drive in a RAID 0 configuration fails, the entire array is lost. At least for a primary system drive, one SSD on its own is safer.

There are of course exceptions. SATA 6Gb/s currently limits us to 500+ MB/s reads and sub-500 MB/s writes. Sometimes, that's just not enough. Just take those raw AVI captures mentioned earlier as an example. We use four Crucial m4s in RAID 0 to make sure we aren't dropping any frames. In a case like that, RAID 0 is a must-have, and the fact that only captured video resides on the array means that a failure would be a fairly superficial loss (except the cost of the drive). If you have an application like that, well, then you already know what you need, and you know that a large, single drive isn't going to get the job done.

Pretty much sums it up for me - I don't think the tasks i do warrant the extra read/write speed and wouldn't really benefit from the increase in having RAID 0 on the drive. Plus i would always be afraid that one day a drive would packup and be a major ballache to sort! Thats just my thoughts though.

SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:10 pm

They have to worn people of the chance of failer, but how often do they fail and why would you save important documents on these, You'd put them on your HDD where they will be safer and no taking up needed space from your fast array.

I know what you mean thou, if it is not a requirement then i'd just got for a 128Gb. I'm just thinking about size, all the games are getting bigger and to be able to create yourself a fast 512Gb drive that you can install games on is always nice.

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:02 pm

Yeah i thought more and more about it as the days gone on and i can get the same SSD as i've got atm (not that its important) for £52.99, so only an extra £15ish for double the size and i can turn it into a 480GB array which may be nice.

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Here are the current games i have installed and their sizes:

Project Cars - 21GB
Warhammer - 24GB
Payday2 - 27GB
The Evil Within - 40GB
Shadows of Mordor - 43GB
NBA 2K15 - 50GB
Metro 2033 Redux - 8GB
LA Noire - 14GB
Evolve - 40GB
BF4 - 65GB
Dead Space 3 - 10GB

Grand Total of 342GB

I only tend to install games that i play more often on my SSD atm and leave all the rest of my HDD but with a larger SSD i would put all of them on there.

So bearing that in mind, i could probably remove one or two of those now, it may be an idea to get a second 240GB and stripe it. With the likes of The Division, Fallout4, The Witcher 3 being some games id buy and download after upgrading, i'd still not be far away from that figure

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:02 pm

Made use of Amazon's £10 off code and bought the Samsung 850 250GB (usually £65.99), mounting bracket and SATA3 cable for £63.98.

Will lose 10GB on my raid but will have 2 monster powerful drives (other being OCZ Vector 240GB) enough for Windows 10 and all my games.

Extreme_One
God-like
God-like

Postby Extreme_One » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:08 pm

Nice! Can't wait to hear how you get on with it.

Return to “Tech Talk”