The Evil Twins

My PC is almost 6 years old...

Talk about technical stuff; hardware, software etc. etc.
Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

My PC is almost 6 years old...

Postby Capt Birdshit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:48 pm

Quite scary actually, i thought it was coming 5 years old. It was actually August 2011 when i upgraded (besides a RAM and Graphics Card upgrade over the last couple of years).

However i still don't really feel the need to upgrade: The latest Intel processors on CPU benchmark still don't show a significant increase in performance considering its £200:

Intel Core i5-7600K @ 3.80GHz 9,252
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz 6,449

Considering my 2500K is overclocked at 3.9ghz at the moment (i think!), it will be slightly higher than the benchmark posted here.

The only think i could do with is an increase in RAM. The problem here is i'll most likely have to spend £100 to get DDR3 the current speed as my mobo is 6 years old - this will then be wasted when i do eventually upgrade as i'll want to get DDR4 ram.

Considering i'm still playing the highest performance games (Division, Forza3) at high settings and its coping pretty well, do i wait until next year to do anything!?

Extreme_One
God-like
God-like

Re: My PC is almost 6 years old...

Postby Extreme_One » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:28 pm

RAM's bloody expensive ATM isn't it?!!

TBH I don't think you should consider upgrading, yet, as you're getting pretty much everything you can from your current system without bottleneck.

A significant upgrade that you'll really notice would need an upgrade of Mobo to take advantage of DDR4 and then an upgrade of your GPU, so it's a whole build really.

Might be worth waiting until NVidia releases cards based on the Volta chipset ...

SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:24 am

CPU Information:
Kabylake is just a slight improvement over Skylake, and the architecture of these is the same as your Sandbridge (22nm) but improved and modified. The next Intel chip, the Cannonlake will be using the newest fabrication of 10nm which means it should run cooler, faster and more energy efficient but basically the same architecture as your chip now.

This is the same process that Intel has been using for the last 6 years and I dont see it changing for a while. I would probably hold out for the Cannonlake if you can but the only improvements that you are really missing out on are the newer protocols (motherboard) and extensions (cpu) you get.

Hope this helps... but if I had a choice I would purchase a Skylake i5 due to the release of the Kabylake (which is a small improvement only), the Skylake dropped about £50 over what I paid.

I ran some benchmarks on my old Sandbridge and it was bottlenecking at the processor, which is why I upgraded.

Another thing is due to the GBP dropping in value we are seeing an increase in all prices on hardware...

I only wish GPUs would have as much sustainability.

SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:35 am

The good thing about this vid is they show a Sandbridge and an OC one running at 4.5Ghz in tests against 6600k and 6700k. Of course the Skylake and Kabylake both OC really well which is why I upgraded as it has lastablility like the Sandbridge did.

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:03 pm

Good points by both of you - I just feel that at the moment the benefit you receive won't be worth the money of a full upgrade. I think unless my current rig gives up the ghost (to be honest considering theyre pushing 6 years, they've done well to run without any major issues), ill look again next year and see whether it is worth doing it then!

Narcosis
Well Known
Well Known

Postby Narcosis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:53 am

Capt Birdshit
God-like
God-like

Postby Capt Birdshit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Had one of those Narc but binned it as i couldn't find any drivers for Windows 2000 on it :(

SpaceMadMonkey
God-like
God-like

Postby SpaceMadMonkey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:13 pm

My misses is still playing on my old 2500k with gtx760 in it on playing all the mass effects and latest deus ex games without an issue.

Return to “Tech Talk”